This post was updated on February 16, 2020.
Product: Estée Lauder Double Wear Maximum Cover Camouflage Makeup for Face and Body. This is one to reach for when you need serious coverage.
Overall Rating = 3.5 Stars – Very Good
Cost: $39.50 (1.0 fl. oz.) ($39.50 per fluid ounce) Price Category: Expensive
Container: Plastic squeeze tube, twist-off cap, outer carton.
Description: Estée Lauder Double Wear Maximum Cover Camouflage Makeup is a waterproof opaque foundation with a UVA/UVB Broad-Spectrum Sun Protection Factor of 15. This product replaced the popular product that was discontinued formerly known as, “Estee Lauder Maximum Cover Lightweight Makeup”.
Formula: Estée Lauder Double Wear Maximum Cover Camouflage Makeup is a thick liquid to lightweight cream foundation. The formula provides full-coverage opacity and dries to a powdery matte finish. The formula is buildable for even greater coverage.
Sensitivity: Estée Lauder Double Wear Maximum Cover Camouflage Makeup is fragrance free and is suitable for those with sensitive skin.
“12-hour wear. Natural-looking. Long-wearing.
This soothing liquid-creme makeup is designed to camouflage all skin imperfections, including surgical and acne scars, tattoos, birthmarks, sun spots and varicose veins. Helps protect with SPF 15.
Full, concealing coverage. Long-wear.
COVERAGE – Full
- Broad Spectrum SPF 15
- Non-acnegenic; won’t clog pores”
Discussion: If you like a full-coverage makeup, this one feels light on the skin but covers extremely well. If you prefer a very light natural-looking or luminous makeup, this one is not for you. I have fair skin with freckles and my freckles completely disappear when I apply this foundation. They have a tendency to show through most foundations, but not this one.
Colors: Estée Lauder Double Wear Maximum Cover Camouflage Makeup comes in sixteen colors (previously 8 colors): 1N1 Ivory Nude; 1N3 Creamy Vanilla; 1C1 Cool Bone; 2C5 Creamy Tan; 2N1 Desert Beige; 2W1 Dawn; 2W2 Rattan; 3N1 Ivory Beige; 3C4 Medium Deep; 3W1 Tawny; 3W2 Cashew; 4N2 Spiced Sand; 4W1Honey Bronze; 4W2 Toasty Toffee; 5W2 Rich Caramel; and 6W1 Sandalwood. The 1N3 is a good match for my ivory-toned fair skin. Colors with an “N” are neutral; colors with a “C” are cool; and colors with a “W” are warm. For those with a very fair porcelain skin the lightest shade may be slightly too dark for you.
Morning Review: After cleansing, toning, moisturizing and priming, I applied Estée Lauder Double Wear Maximum Cover Camouflage Makeup. If you have oily skin, you should skip the moisturizer, but do not skip the primer. The primer will help to extend the wear of this foundation.
I have experimented applying this foundation with fingers, a foundation brush and a sponge beauty blender. It sets up very quickly, so I have found that it works best with a flat-head brush by buffing it on. If you need thick coverage, fingers will work better.
Helpful Tips and Tricks:
- Make sure your skin has been recently exfoliated prior to using this foundation, especially if you have dry skin, or it will settle into the dry patches and be difficult to blend.
- A little goes a long way; don’t apply too much product to your face. Work with small dots of product.
- It dries very quickly so don’t apply it to your whole face at once; work in small areas at a time.
- For heavy coverage, apply it with your fingers and pat it on, don’t rub.
- For lighter coverage, apply it with a foundation brush or damp beauty blender sponge.
- If you have dry skin, use a moisturizer or moisturizing primer first.
- As this dries to a powdery finish, do not put any type of creams (blushes, contours, highlighters) on top of this, only powders. Creams don’t blend well on top of powders.
- For full waterproof coverage, set it with a fixing spray. I like Luminess, Urban Decay or MAC.
Evening Review: On my dry skin, Estée Lauder Double Wear Maximum Cover Camouflage Makeup does not budge and lasts for 10-12 hours. When I use this on clients with oily skin, they can expect to get 6-8 hours of wear. It will come off with regular facial cleanser; it will not rinse off with just plain water. I have used this on models for outdoor water shoots with very good results.
Overall Review: Estée Lauder Double Wear Maximum Cover Camouflage Makeup offers full coverage without a heavy feel on the skin. It can be tricky to blend if you try to work on too large of an area. As long as you work quickly and in small sections, it works extremely well.
- Professional quality results
- Full coverage hides all types of skin issues and discolorations
- Moderate Broad-Spectrum UVA/UVB SPF 15
- Fragrance-free formula
- Skin-friendly ingredients
- Long lasting
- Dries very quickly so you need to work fast
- If your skin is extremely fair, there may not be a color light enough.
Suitability: Estée Lauder Double Wear Maximum Cover Camouflage Makeup is suitable for the following users:
- All users
- I would not use this on a man unless it was for performance purposes. It can be difficult to blend over the man’s beard area.
Morning Rating = 4 Stars;
Evening Rating = 4 Stars;
Average from Other Testers = 4 Stars;
Value Rating = 2 Stars;
Overall Rating = 3.5 Stars = Very Good.
Would Buy Again? Yes
(Please review the About 365 Cosmetic Reviews page for the rating info.)
Ingredients: ISODODECANE; ISOHEXADECANE; METHYL METHACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER; PETROLATUM; GLYCERYL STEARATE; DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE; HYDROGENATED STYRENE/ ISOPRENE COPOLYMER; MICROCRYSTALLINE WAX\CERA MICROCRISTALLINA\CIRE MICROCRISTALLINE; KAOLIN; CHOLESTEROL; ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF EXTRACT; FUSANUS SPICATUS WOOD OIL; TOCOPHERYL ACETATE; LINOLEIC ACID; GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) OIL; STEARYL GLYCYRRHETINATE; BISABOLOL; SILICA; PROPYLENE CARBONATE; METHYLDIHYDROJASMONATE; POLYETHYLENE; 2,6-DIMETHYL-7-OCTEN-2-OL; POLYGLYCERYL-3 DIISOSTEARATE; PENTAERYTHRITYL TETRA-DI-T-BUTYL HYDROXYHYDROCINNAMATE; ALUMINA; PHENETHYL ALCOHOL; [+/- IRON OXIDES (CI 77491); IRON OXIDES (CI 77492); IRON OXIDES (CI 77499); TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891); MICA; BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE (CI 77163)] <40794>
Important: Please read our full Disclaimer before using this or any product.